I posted this salad on Instagram last week and one person commented ‘OMG Yes!’ That is exactly how I feel about this. It’s delicious.
My OMG yes salad
500g pumpkin, peeled & diced in 1 cm cubes
Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle over pumpkin (you could also use spray)
1 generous tbsp tahini
juice of one lemon
1-2 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
1/2 cup freekeh (see note)
1 bunch broccolini, chopped into ~5cm pieces.
2 generous handfuls sugar snap peas,top & tailed.
2 generous handfuls green beans, top, tailed &halved.
50-100g Danish feta
30g smoked almonds, sliced/chopped
1. Line a baking tray with baking paper & place pumpkin cubes. Drizzle with olive oil and cook till tender (cooking time will vary on size of cubes; mine took approximately 30 minutes) (You could also buzz in microwave for a few moments to kickstart the cooking process)
2. Cook the freekeh on the stove or microwave, as per packet directions. Generally it’s 1/2 cup freekeh to 2 cups boiling water.
3. In a small bowl, combine tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and honey in a bowl (If not overly runny, add water or oil).
4. Blanch the broccolini, sugar snap peas & beans in boiling for 3 minutes, then drain and refresh with cold water.
5. Once freekeh is cooked, combine in a bowl with tahini dressing. Add roast pumpkin, greens, half the feta & almonds, and toss gently.
6. Serve & sprinkle with the remaining feta & almonds.
– I’d say chuck in some lean protein. Chicken is a classic lunch choice but lamb would be way good too.
– If you don’t like/can’t find freekeh, you can use any grain of choice – rice, wild rice, pearl barley, quinoa etc.
– Greens are interchangeable – switch in asparagus, snow peas, or switch out something – whatever vegetables you enjoy.
– garlic infused olive oil is low FODMAP.
– Meredith’s goats cheese would also be super divine.