Remember how I’m obsessed with smoothie bowls, and last year it was like porridge and peanut butter and pears and pumpkin soup? Well right now it is roast pumpkin & frittata’s. I love them, and together they are even better. Frittatas are a super easy protein & vegetable packed, colourful delicious lunch (or dinner). So I thought I would share one of my recipes.
Recipe adapted from the sweet potato & caramelised onion tortilla recipe from Healthy Food Guide (March 2016).
300g sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
300g pumpkin, peeled and cut into cubes
Extra virgin olive oil/canola spray
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
200g baby spinach
100g low fat cottage cheese
¼ cup milk
Salt and pepper
40g Danish feta
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place potato and pumpkin on tray & roast for approximately 25 minutes or until tender
2. Heat oil in non-stick pan and add onion. Stir occasionally for approx. 5-10 minutes or until onion is slightly caramelised. Add paprika and spinach and cook till spinach in just wilted. Remove from heat.
3. Whisk eggs together in a large bowl. Add milk and whisk. Add onion mixture, potato, pumpkin and cottage cheese and stir to combine.
4. Line the base and sides of a 22cm round tin with baking paper. Gently pour the egg mixture into the tin, trying to distribute the vegetables evenly.
5. Sprinkle crumbled feta & bake in the over for approximately 45 minutes (or until golden and firm.
6. Serve with a tomato relish (I particularly love the Beerenberg tomato chutney)